It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:18 am

Welcome
Welcome to The Baker Street Supper Club

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Irene Adler/Scandal in Bohemia Chat: BBC1 Adaptation Contest
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:55 am 
Consulting Detective

Hey there!

This thread is a place for discussion about the character of Irene Adler who will be making her appearance in the second season of BBC1's Sherlock.

In Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's story, Scandal in Bohemia, Irene Adler is a woman scorned and bent on revenge against her ex-lover, and Sherlock's client, the King of Bohemia. Irene successfully outmaneuvers the great detective, earning his respect and the famous moniker "the woman." She is one of Holmes' more notable adversaries both because of her victory and her gender.

There is much speculation as to how Steven Moffat will update Scandal in Bohemia and the character of Irene Adler in his adaptation. This thread is a place to put forward predictions about (and hopes for) character and plot elements in Moffat's upcoming episode. It is also a place to present one's own version of the story. All versions, from the canonical to the outrageous, are welcome here! Please, post brief sketches only: this is not the place for full-blown fan fiction. Also, any author posting "mature content" should list a rating (see fan fiction thread rules) and use the spoiler button to hide his/her submission and protect the innocent eyes of those who would rather not read rough/racy content.

I'm proposing an informal contest to see who can outline a story closest to the yet-to-air BBC1 adaptation of Scandal in Bohemia. Submit an unlimited number of entries in this thread. The winner, determined by a poll after the episode airs, will be rewarded with bragging rights and, of course, our total admiration. Good luck.

Aurora Borealis

Link to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Scandal in Bohemia: http://etext.virginia.edu/toc/modeng/pu ... yScan.html

If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and peep in...it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable. ACD, A Case of Identity

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Irene Adler/Scandal in Bohemia Chat: BBC1 Adaptation Con
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:47 am 
Napoleon of Crime

I'm bound to get it all wrong. I just want to see her wipe the floor with Sherlock. :wink

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:07 pm 
Defender of Sherlock's Virtue

Trudi, behave! :frown
You're making me cross.
I HOPE they play it as it should be: one smart woman who is AT LEAST a match for Sherlock and he admires her greatly because of it.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:26 pm 
I'm John & I Know How to Use Trams

That is exactly what Bohemia is in the original stories, not more and not less.

I have two ideas so far, one quite true to the original (and quite boring) and one farther away but great fun and potential for the characters. I just have to make a proper scetch out of it maybe the plot bunny loves me tonight.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:31 pm 
Consulting Detective

The point of this thread is not to say what should or shouldn't be, but to speculate, isn't it ?
Some will try to find out the closest thing possible to Moffat's episode, others will make the most extravagant claims just for the fun of it. At least, that's what I got from our discussion (Am I right, Aurora ?)
I'm working on two ideas, one for each version, in my head, while planning the fanfic we talked about with theviolin (her idea, not mine :p). :wink

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:55 pm 

Yeah sorry Ambrevale, I maybe should just stay away from the thread...difficult not to bite sometimes tho-hey? Some of the longer term members on here could tell you about my hypersensitivity over ' that woman'! :lol:
I have even considered starting a thread on the various 'buttons' we all have about Sherlock...but I would fill the thread with mine alone!

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:56 pm 

But I get can still post my idea here, right?
Great that you are planning it *joyful bouncing*

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:03 pm 
Consulting Detective

'Course dear, it's your idea ! Besides, I won't write said fic if I don't have your permission :molly

Besley, you may have noticed I have my buttons too (the woman and the pseudo love stories adapted from Scandal being two of them) but as long as it's not about canon, but about creativity, I'm pretty much buttons-less. You could start this thread though, could be interesting to see the different things that make us tick, as long as we're not agressive about it (I say that for me as well, I know I feel things quite deeply too).

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:07 pm 

I feel deeply but am never aggressive...ok, I suspect I'm opening a can of worms. Or rather, everybody will now see how completely loopy I am- but I'll give it a go. Staff can delete if they feel the need to.
Oh and yes, I do not have an issue with ORIGINAL creativity.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:12 pm 

Of course you have permission, Ambrevale.
I'm always very quick with ideas but get stuck or very uncreative when I atempt to write the stories. I'm really looking forward what you make out of this one.

I would be interested in the button-tread, too. I haven't found any buttons in the original canon yet but there might still be some for me since I'm just about half way through yet.

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next